Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cross country recap!

Well today I ran the school cross country for the first time in my entire LIFE. So that alone is a serious achievement for me.
UNFORTUNATELY, It didn't go too well for me, for reasons which are entirely my own fault.
The worst thing that I did today was not drinking water. I had my 1.5 liter bottle with me as usual, but because I have this ridiculous fear of having to pee whilst running, I didn't drink any of it. So the only liquid I had had all day was a cup of strong coffee at 7 in the morning.
It did not go down well at ALL. 
I felt absolutely dreadful through the entire duration of the short run because I was running in the boiling hot sun feeling dehydrated and suffering Acid Reflux. I felt like at any time I was going to vomit acid.
YUCK. I had to WALK a little bit of the way because I was in too much pain, I was so disappointed in myself.
Another bad mistake I made was not wearing sunblock. It was boiling hot and the sun was less than forgiving on my bare, exposed arms, legs, ears and face and even though I don't think I got sunburnt, it was on my mind the entire time. I hate getting sunburnt because it's so bad for you.
Finally, I need to start running regularly on rough-terrain. At one point in the track we had to run through a paddock, and the ground was so bumpy and uneven, I was terrified I was going to twist an ankle.
Maybe next time I'll tape up my ankles?
I also wish I'd worn a hairband to hold back my fringe because when I was running through the paddock it was ten times more difficult to concentrate on my footing because I couldn't see properly.


Overall, I came 27th. Now that is still a massive achievement for me :) Because in my history with cross-country, I've never made an effort and I always wound up coming within the last TEN people.
That's embarrassing.
So despite the less than favourable conditions, I'm happy with my placing :)
I know I could've done much better if I had've taken in to consideration those factors, but what can you do?
Next year I'll do even better.


Some things I'd change or will do better next year:
1. Stay hydrated throughout the day and bring a small water bottle with me.
2. Tie ALL my hair back
3. Wear plenty of sunblock
4. Wear less heat absorbing clothing
5. Train on uneven surfaces more often.


I'm a little embarrassed that as a runner I didn't do better, but it'll give me a chance to prove myself next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment